We talked to Yeliz Obergfell, Scrum Institute Co-founder and Vice President – Student Experience, about the leading independent institute that helps IT companies and professionals get accredited and prove their competence in Scrum framework and here is what she said about.
First of all, how are you and your family doing in these COVID-19 times?
Yeliz Obergfell: Thank you for asking this, Sir! Fortunately, my family, business associates at Scrum Institute, and I have been doing so far so good.
Tell us about you, your career, how you founded Scrum Institute?
Yeliz Obergfell: First of all, we thank Startup.info and its leadership team for politely inviting Scrum Institute to contribute to your magazine. At International Scrum Institute, we have been regularly following the amazing content you and your associates publish. We appreciate the inspiration and assistance you bring to the worldwide startup, entrepreneurship, and professional communities.
Although our company, Scrum Institute, is far from being a startup company (In autumn this year, we are going to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the International Scrum Institute), we are still firmly convinced that our business journey and point of views we established for the global Scrum training and Scrum certification community can inspire many other entrepreneurs and professionals worldwide.
International Scrum Institute is the Leading Independent Training, Certification, and Accreditation Institute that helps Companies and Professionals get accredited with worldwide renowned and recognized Scrum Certifications and prove their competence in the Scrum Domain. Scrum Institute empowers Scrum Professionals worldwide to build their Careers and Companies to sell their Outstanding Agile Products and Services.
Scrum Institute’s popular Scrum Training serves more than 447,000 monthly visitors. Inside each training episode, Scrum Institute shares the most prominent “a-ha moments” and project management methodologies with complete transparency. From tough lessons learned to mindset and pure project delivery strategy, Scrum Institute pulls our students into a world of real engineering and business professionals and shares journeys and insider knowledge of many organizations building great products and services with no firefighting.
How does Scrum Institute innovate?
Yeliz Obergfell: First, let me explain how the Scrum Framework differentiates from other project management frameworks and why it became important. The Scrum process has been around since 1986, and it has been first introduced by Hirotaka Takeuchi and Ikujiro Nonaka in Harvard Business Review with an article called “New Product Development Game”.
Nonetheless, it’s worth mentioning that most of Scrum principles and some of its planning artifacts, such as Scrum Product Backlog and Sprint Planning Backlog, go far more back in the history of manufacturing and engineering, such as Lean Movement and Kanban task scheduling system, both were conceptualized and popularized in Japan after World War II.
If you remove all the clutter around it and bring it in its essence, from a business-professional point of view, Scrum is a Project Management Framework. In a typical project management framework, such as PMI’s and CMMI’s waterfall, project managers and the teams must know all answers about their work in advance. Obviously, today, knowing all answers in advance, especially in knowledge job projects where each project has its unique characteristics, can be put in dictionaries as the meaning of “utopia”, if not “nightmare”.
On the contrary, thanks to the continuous client feedback loops, the Scrum Framework enabled the Scrum Teams, Scrum Masters, and Scrum Product Owners to learn and discover more about their work while they perform the actual work. Thanks to the Scrum Framework, the project teams do no longer have to pretend that they know everything about their work in advance. The Plan, Implement, Check, Learn feedback loops, the Scrum Framework has brought to our projects resemble how we used to naturally do, learn, and improve ourselves while we were children.
That is why the Scrum Framework has attracted millions of professionals worldwide from all industries imaginable. Before International Scrum Institute was established, there has been no reasonable way for Scrum Professionals to obtain Scrum Certifications and prove their competence in the Scrum domain. Certified Scrum Professionals had to pay expensive fees for the one-way profit-driven Scrum Certification Programs of other Certification Entities.
Myself as Yeliz Obergfell, our CEO, and another co-founder, Erkan Sutculer, are on a mission with the International Scrum Institute to remove these barriers set in front of the Certified Scrum Professionals in developed and emerging markets by saving them from paying unreasonable fees for Scrum Classroom Trainings and Scrum Certification Examinations before they certify their knowhow in Scrum.
How the coronavirus pandemic affects your business, and how are you coping?
Yeliz Obergfell: If you ask me, the single most crucial thing, which we every day confirm with the pandemic, is that our success is merely the byproduct of the value we generate for the worldwide Scrum Institute communities.
And we work really very hard every day, including most weekends, to do our best for the global Scrum Institute community. Let me also humbly emphasize that we want to truly acknowledge our Scrum Institute’s community’s continuous support and trust in the work we do at the International Scrum Institute.
Without their community, their engagement, and their loyal support, International Scrum Institute could not come where it’s today.
Did you have to make difficult choices, and what are the lessons learned?
Yeliz Obergfell: My most challenging choice was back when we founded International Scrum Institute. I told myself. Yeliz Obergfell, You have always tried to do your best, and you will again do the same. Erkan Sutculer and I had no clue that what would start with a decision to change our professional lives would transform into a global movement thanks to the principles, frameworks, and support of the Scrum Institute.
What specific tools, software, and management skills are you using to navigate this crisis?
Yeliz Obergfell: At Scrum Institute, we don’t not only teach the core values of the Scrum framework, but we have also been adhering to those Scrum principles in every facet of the work we perform.
• Scrum Institute Core Value #1 – Courage: We always remember to be courageous, and we attempt to master to decide and act courageously. Our duty and obligation are to be courageous to build the best possible products and services for our Scrum Institute community.
• Scrum Institute Core Value #2 – Focus: Identification of the correct work and its appropriate prioritization is for us as natural as having breakfast to ensure that we create the utmost value for the Scrum Institute community, and we do it every day.
• Scrum Institute Core Value #3 – Commitment: To be successful at the International Scrum Institute, in life and business, we should become obsessed with our goals. So in the context of what we do for the Scrum Institute’s community, we are obsessed with creating marvelous products and services for people who got value from our services.
• Scrum Institute Core Value #4 – Respect: Regardless of their age, gender, race, belief, experience, competence, opinions, and work performance, every member of Scrum Institute’s team must respect and count on each other. It’s particularly crucial to properly receive and answer opposite opinions that most of our group do not agree with. Sometimes, the real gems and brilliant ideas to serve Scrum Institute’s students emerge from those ideas which everyone does not easily understand.
• Scrum Institute Core Value #5- Openness: Thanks to openness and courage values, Scrum Institute’s team is not afraid of making mistakes in our daily tasks. We see less than optimal outcomes as vital chances to meaningfully improve our overall productivity and work quality.
Who are your competitors? And how do you plan to stay in the game?
Yeliz Obergfell: International Scrum Institute applies eight simple and powerful working principles to serve our Scrum Institute’s community better than our competitors do.
• Principle #1. We’re In People Business To Serve Best Value For Our Students, Whereas Our Competitors Solely Orientate Their Practices To Favor Their Training Partners And To Increase Their Profits!
• Principle #2. We Offer Times More Value For Our Student’s Money Than Any Of Our Inefficient, Expensive And Training-Partner-Oriented Competitors Do!
• Principle #3. Our Motto, Vision, Mission Whatever One May Call It Is Crystal Clear For Us: We Provide Everything Scrum Institute’s Students Need, So We Make Sure That Our Students Conveniently Learn And Implement Scrum. They Advance In Their Career And Business!
• Principle #4. As International Scrum Institute, We Bring International Credibility and Worldwide Recognition For Our Students With The Certified Scrum Knowledge And Trusted Scrum Certifications!
• Principle #5. Scrum Institute Certifies Its Student In Scrum With Lifetime Valid Scrum Certifications Without Any Renewal Fees!
• Principle #6. Scrum Institute’s Students Can Get Certified In Scrum Without Mandatory Classroom Trainings!
• Principle #7. International Scrum Institute Provides 365 Days In A Year, Around The Clock Student Experience Support!
• Principle #8. International Scrum Institute Offers The World’s Most Valuable Scrum Training and Scrum Certification Experience For The World’s Most Affordable Prices! Period.
Your final thoughts?
Yeliz Obergfell: Scrum Institute is known as the company that helps Scrum professionals learn skills that inspire them to find and execute successful projects, grow in their careers, and become accomplished leaders in their particular markets.
Therefore, I want to give you today, the startup.info readers, a Scrum Certification Training Book so you can start learning for FREE!
Regardless of your role in the business and professional ecosystems, there are many things for you from this Scrum Certification Training Book.
It’s now your turn to master the Scrum Framework to increase efficiency and reduce wastes in your projects and business! And you won’t have to spend thousands of dollars to cover the fee of an experienced Agile Scrum trainer and an Agile Project Advisor. In fact, I will let you try out Scrum Institute’s certification training book for FREE so you can start learning before you pay your first penny!
Just click here to get started with your Scrum Institute’s Scrum Certification Training Book for free.
Top of the month
Resources6 months ago
A Complete Guide on How to Start a Fintech Startup in 2021
Resources6 months ago
How to Deliver Exceptional Customer Service for Your Start-Up
Resources11 months ago
TOP 105 Niche Sites to Submit a Guest Post for Free in 2021
Resources2 weeks ago
How To Recycle The Water Filter