It is no secret that a home’s windows are responsible for the vast majority lost heat. As energy bills continue to skyrocket and the UK’s cost of living crisis intensifies, the importance of energy efficiency at home has never been greater.
On average, it is estimated that window heat loss and heat gain is responsible for up to 30% of the average home’s heating and cooling energy use. Anything you can use to place a barrier between your home and the outdoors can help reduce energy consumption, but which window coverings work best?
Window Shutters Vs Conventional Window Coverings
For generations, window shutters have been a tried and trusted solution for maintaining comfortable temperatures indoors. They are used in warmer countries to keep warm air at bay, and can be just as effective in keeping interiors warm in cold weather.
Even so, the extent to which high-quality window shutters outperform comparable window coverings is often underestimated. A recent study conducted by Glasgow Caledonian University sought to quantify the potential energy savings that could be made by upgrading to higher-quality window coverings.
By conducting a series of tests on a draught-proofed window, they found that the following window coverings made very different contributions to energy efficiency:
- Victorian roller blinds – an approximate 28% reduction in heat loss
- Standard roller blinds – an approximate 22% reduction in heat loss
- Conventional curtains – an approximate 14% reduction in heat loss
- Window shutters – an approximate 51% reduction in heat loss
Consequently, it was concluded that window shutters provided the most dramatic reduction in heat loss by a significant margin. Used throughout the year to maintain comfortable temperatures indoors, high-quality window shutters can contribute to major energy savings in all four seasons.
Additional Benefits of Plantation Shutters
There have been other studies that have suggested that precision-fitted plantation shutters can reduce heat loss by as much as 64%. It depends on the materials the shutters are made from, how well they are fitted to the opening and the condition of the windows.
Even so, what has been proven time and time again is that plantation shutters outperform all other window coverings in terms of energy efficiency.
But there are also countless additional benefits to plantation shutters that give them an edge over the alternative options available. Just a few examples of which include the following:
- A major reduction in exterior noise pollution, which can make a huge difference to interior comfort in busy urban areas.
- The ability to control lighting and ventilation with pinpoint precision, adjusting the louvres and panels as required.
- An additional security feature for the home, serving as an effective deterrent for would-be intruders.
- Improved privacy for all rooms of the home, which can be particularly reassuring in bedrooms, nurseries, bathrooms etc.
- Cleaner and more hygienic than conventional curtains, with no maintenance requirements other than an occasional wipe.
- Unrivalled durability and an indefinite lifespan, adding up to a cost-effective investment in your home’s comfort and appeal.
- A beautifully elegant and sophisticated visual addition to any room of the home, available in almost any colour and configuration imaginable.
In addition to the above, the installation of plantation shutters has been shown to make a major contribution to a home’s market value. If you plan on putting your home on the market at any point in the future, adding plantation shutters to its interiors could help you sell it for the best possible price.
For more information on any of the above or to discuss the potential benefits of plantation shutters in more detail, contact a member of the team at Riverside Shutters today.
Top of the month
Resources2 years ago
TOP 135 Niche Sites to Submit a Guest Post for Free in 2022
Resources6 months ago
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive to iPhone?
Resources4 months ago
5 Best sites to Buy Twitter Followers (Active & Real)
Resources3 months ago
The Top 5 Websites To Buy Instagram Likes In 2022 (Quality And Price)