Most of us strive for more productivity in all aspects of our lives. However, contrary to what we may believe, doing more is not always the clear path to that. In the same philosophy, being always on or available does not mean your work goals will be met faster.
In fact, more and more professionals are talking about disconnecting and having a space to focus on their work as a way to improve productivity. This concept is also known as asynchronous work.
Let’s explore this practice in more detail and see what benefits it can bring to you.
What is asynchronous work?
While the concept is quite straightforward, let’s first define what the term ‘asynchronous work’ even means.
To put it simply, Asynchronous work is any work that is done without having to coordinate the work hours.
This means each team member is free to decide when she or he works. Moreover, no one is expected to answer emails or Slack messages immediately. This allows you to pick when to work and focus your efforts on the period of time you feel the most productive.
Sounds great, right? However, there are usually some rules in most asynchronous teams to ensure the team members align their efforts.
Common rules for asynchronous work
While the definition for such work practices usually differ, there are some common rules that most teams abide by. They help them to stay aligned, work on the same goal and adapt the course when needed.
- Weekly/monthly planning sessions. To ensure the team is working on what is the most important, you should hold regular planning sessions and discuss what should be achieved next. The frequency of such meetings will depend greatly on the type of work you do. As long as it feels right, go for it.
- Weekly status check-ins. While we all try to avoid unnecessary meetings, having a weekly check-in session is great. All you do here is say what you are currently working on, and observe the progress of your team members. This is a great way to spot any issues or get new ideas without having to work together all the time.
- Agreed upon response time. Even though you are working asynchronously, communication between the teams is still very importatn. To ensure everyone is on the same page, try and agree upon the base response time for messages, emails, etc. This will help with planning and minimize the frustration of not getting an answer.
Asynchronous work benefits
Now that we have discussed the most common rules for this type of work, let’s see what benefits you can expect by implementing it.
- More uninterrupted work time. By implementing asynchronous first, you will be able to schedule no-disturbances work sessions and focus on one task at a time. Even if notifications and requests come in during this time, you will feel no pressure to answer them right away.
- Better productivity. Another benefit that stems from this practice is the fact that you will most likely become more productive. Working without interruptions will lead to better focus and faster results.
- Having power over your time. Besides being able to choose what you work on, you will also be able to choose when you work. Giving you the option to schedule work sessions for when you feel most productive and leave time for important family or personal events.
- Easier hiring process. Lastly, if your team works asynchronously, you have fewer limits when it comes to the hiring process. Being able to hire people no matter their location.
Tools for asynchronous work
Ready to give it a go? Well, first you will need to ensure the team has all the tools necessary. This means tools for communication, sharing information, managing tasks, and more. Consider something like an online Kanban board, as it can be a true all-in-one option for such cases.
If you are unsure of what you may need, just think of the regular day at the office and what you would need to do the same when working asynchronously. The good news is, you probably already have almost everything. And if you need more, here is a list of free asynchronous collaboration tools.
Top of the month
Resources3 months ago
How to Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages without Backup (iOS/Android)
Resources9 months ago
How to Unlock iPhone if Forgot Passcode without Restore
News3 weeks ago
How to Restore Deleted Data from Android Phones without Backup
Resources2 weeks ago
Wealth DNA Code Reviews – (WARNING) What Customers Real Experience? Update 2023!